How to Find Emergency Contact Information on Someone Else’s Phone
There is no shortage of reasons for alarm lately, from outbreaks of the dangerous COVID-19 virus to natural disasters, both in the country and around the world. In an emergency, it is important to know what to do and how to reach the right people. That’s why we thought it was a good time for everyone to review emergency phone contacts and how you can find them.
How to add emergency contacts to your phone
To start, if you don’t know how to add emergency contacts to your phone, here’s a little reminder.
For iOS or Apple users, you must:
- Open the Health app and press the profile button (this may appear as a small bubble with your initials in the top right corner).
- Faucet Medical ID and Edit.
- Scroll to emergency contacts.
- Press the to add button and enter your contact details.
- Faucet Finished to save changes.
- If you need to delete an emergency contact, the process is the same.
If you haven’t set up your Medical ID on your iPhone, now is a good time to do that too. The feature lets you view details like your name, age, weight, height, and any medical conditions on your lock screen in case of an emergency.
For Android users, you can add emergency information to your phone by:
- Open the Settings application.
- Faucet About the phone then emergency information.
- Faucet edit information to add your medical information.
- Faucet add contact to add emergency contacts.
If you don’t already know the Emergency SOS in your phone, it’s basically a feature that calls the emergency services and texts your emergency contacts with your location, so it’s important to already have some in your phone.
How to Find Someone’s Emergency Contacts
If you find someone who has their phone on them and needs help, there is a way to access their emergency information.
On iPhone, you can do this by pressing both the lock and lower volume buttons the same time. Then swipe right on the Medical ID panel that appears.
On Android phones, you can access emergency information by swipe up on a locked screen and typing Emergency > Emergency Information.
Calling the emergency services should be your first step (in an emergency), but sometimes it can also just mean returning a lost phone or alerting someone’s loved ones to the situation.
Either way, it’s helpful to know how to access someone else’s emergency information and hopefully these steps will help.